Mold grows from spores, is a common term for fungus. Spores are everywhere in our environment (inactive) but will germinate when humidity level exceeds 70% (becomes active). After flood damage occurs in your property, the first thing to keep in mind is to take steps to prevent further damage that could occur by mold growth. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, homeowners can minimize the risk of mold damage by following these smart tips.
Active and Inactive Mold
Active mold is usually black, green, orange or purple in color and the growth is fuzzy or slimy. Whereas, the inactive mold is of white color and is dry and powdery. In early stages, the mold may look bushy or like a fine web but it spreads easily.
Tips To Stop Mold From Spreading
- Lower the humidity and temperature.
- Isolate any moldy objects and dry out everything immediately.
- Keep the area clean. Within 24 – 48 hours, use Lysol, bleach or other water solution to clean the surface. Increase air circulation in the room because mold may remain on cupboards and shelves where valuables were kept.
- Fix all water leaks
- Add fiberglass insulation on walls, pipes, roof, and flooring in order to prevent constant moisture.
- Check indoor plants if water is accumulating.
- Clean the mold only after it is inactive. Always wear protective clothing to gently wipe away the mold residue.
- Do not put carpets in basements or those areas that have a lot of moisture.
- Remove wet carpets that cannot dry properly.
- Although excessive ultraviolet light damages your stuff, brief exposure to sunlight (not exceeding 30 minutes) can stop mold growth and aid drying.
- If you can’t dry the objects immediately after the water damage, you can freeze documents (except moldy photographs) books until conditions are right to dry them.
- When remodeling your home, seek building products or materials that help minimize the potential for moisture and mold growth.
- Be sure storage areas are free of mold. Reinspect the objects on a frequent basis for any new mold growth.
Remember that if the temperature exceeds 65 degrees, it is a sign of excess humidity, which supports mold growing. Regardless of what type of mold it is, when it comes to your attention, remove immediately. If interested to learn more about mold removal, or prevention have a look at the Environmental Protection Agency’s guide.